Sunday, November 24, 2013

Bridal Veil


Today, my Sunday drive took me up to Squaw Peak where I was denied by a forest ranger, they've closed it for the season, then to Vivian Park and South Fork to see the horses and lastly to Bridal Veil Falls at the mouth of the canyon. The sight was breathtaking, or that could have been the frigid wind, and parts of the falls have frozen, leaving gigantic icicles hanging from the cliffs. I sat there a while taking pictures, listening to music and reading a bit, both from the Doctrine and Covenants and from Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse. There have been many things that have stuck out to me in both books, but in the last chapter of Siddhartha, there was one particular quote that had significant meaning to me:

"When someone seeks then it happens all too easily that his eyes will see only the thing he is seeking, that he cannot find anything, cannot let anything in, because he is always thinking only of that thing he seeks, because he has a goal, because he is possessed by the goal. Seeking means: having a goal. But finding means: being free, being open, having no goal."

Maybe this time around a goal isn't what I need, what I need is to be more open, willing to let new experiences in and to stop being so stubborn.

No comments:

Post a Comment